Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Midas' Touch

Some years ago, I went to Ravenna, Italy, for a workshop in Byzantine mosaics. On the agenda was a tour of the basilicas, mausoleums and chapels - all sunlit by magnificent gold mosaics.

Fast forward to now where I am experimenting with painting clay tiles. For my first piece,
I've drawn on the Ravenna experience to surround the figure with gold color. This made me think of the use of gold in art and its meaning.

Ancients applied gold to statues and buildings to signify the wealth and power of empire. Later, as organized religions gained influence, gold was used to indicate saintliness and inspire awe. What does it signify today?

Today most public or empirical art do not include the use of real gold or even gold paint. Modern day churches are far more austere than before. So, I ask again: what does it signify when you looks at a painting with gold? (Gustav Klimt, left; Michelangelo Russo, right )

8 comments:

  1. For me, gold adds a luminous quality to paintings. I suppose it could detract if used too much. Cece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. BTW I like your winter floral note cards - just bought a set. Lili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Russo and your bird tile - and the use of gold. Your writing is like beautiful music - sweet sounding and harmonious. Mary S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work and I'm really happy you are asking the questions about gold. I remembering being in Disney World many years ago and a man from China was there, creating a huge "stitchery" for a wall, with a wonderful use of gold-covered thread. I found it fascinating that the flowing threads were held in place by a fine red thread that crossed the gold at intervals and you couldn't see it unless you were actually looking for it. There's something about red and gold that is totally harmonious . It definitely inspires AWE and also gives it a sense of class, dignity and value. Interesting word, value... worth, substance, quality... all that. It takes it a step UP from other media.

    In Thailand, the outer walls of one of the palaces were done in gold tiles and one the sun hit it...WOW. You just stand there for a long time in wonder, absorbing the warmth, joy and richness of the experience. Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, good comments. I'm not sure what gold in a painting signifies to me, but I learned how to lay real gold leaf on red clay over cooked gesso,with water, which is one of the old master techniques. This is an egg tempera painting that has the gold leaf and features intaglio and gesso impasto. I did this as a student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have fond memories of that trip. I didn't do much with with mosaics after that trip, but love them all the same. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dianne,

    I have fond memories, too. As you can see, while I haven't been working in mosaics, I've been incorporating what I've learned into my work, too. R-Atencio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am continually amazed and delighted at what I learn from your blogs. Sometimes, it's visiting something from my past (like an old friend). Sometimes, it's a genuine revelation! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete