Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Madonna, Barbra Streisand, & Jack Nicholson Collect Her

Her name was Tamara de Lempicka (1898-1980). Ever heard of her? No? Yet she is highly collectible and Madonna has featured de Lempicka's art in several of her music videos.

Born in Russia of Polish heritage, de Lempicka left home at the age of 15 after her parents divorced and her mother remarried. At that tender age, she married a Russian man who she first saw at the opera. Four years later during the Russian Revolution, de Lempicka would rescue her husband from prison where the Bolsheviks held him. Together, they escaped to Paris where many of the upper-class had fled.

In her travels, de Lempicka had observed the works of the master painters of Europe. In Paris, she studied painting privately at the Academie de la Grand Chaumiere. After a few years, she became the most recognized and popular painter of the Art Deco style.

With the advent of WWII in Europe, de Lempicka came for an "extended stay" in America. She began to experiment with other methods of painting. As so many artists (and musicians) have found out the hard way, the public can easily reject any change in style or method. So it was for de Lempicka. She continued to paint, but she stopped exhibiting.

She moved to Mexico where she lived out her final years. When Art Deco was rediscovered, de Lempicka's works became very collectible and that is how she came to be collected by modern-day celebrities.





7 comments:

  1. I love art deco. I never heard of her, but I really like her work. I would collect her, too. LJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Art Deco, but I didn't know of her. Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your art-related postings! You are giving me an education! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog ...I so enjoy them...would you mind if I shared them with my friends in the art class? Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! What a beautiful painting. I can see why her work has endured. Also, it has the feel of the "illustrator" style of the time. I like it a lot! JH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks R, I had never heard of her but like what I see. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no clue he she was until a friend saw a painting I had in my office. He told me it was an original DeLempicka and I needed to have it authenticated. I have been corresponding with Alaine Blondel of Paris. I'm told I have the "study" for the piece titled "Le Modele." If anyone is interested in assisting me in the final authentication process please email me. galdieri.michael072@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete