Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Magic Show: What do You Think?

Have you ever been to an art exhibit and found yourself intrigued by a certain painting? So much so that you needed to look at it awhile to allow the mind to interpret what the eyes were seeing? It's that sense that something is "off."

Intriguing the viewer's mind has been the goal of many talented artists. They are like magicians who use sleight of hand to capture the attention of the audience. I thought it would be fun to demonstrate a subtle form of this sleight of hand in a few well-known paintings. (click on image to enlarge)

Degas' painting: "The Bar at the Folies Bergère"


Look carefully. Is that the same girl in a mirror or a different girl?

Manet's painting: "The Waitress"


Where is the person in the top hat sitting?

Degas' painting: "Ballet Rehearsal"


Are we seeing another room in the background or is that a mirror reflecting the rest of the room?

Intriguing, yes?

7 comments:

  1. So interesting. I recognized the Degas paintings, but never noticed. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woweee...that was fun! I love looking at the details and this was
    interesting.
    Nice am here!
    di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woweee...that was fun! I love looking at the details and this was
    interesting.
    Nice am here!
    di

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it. I love looking at art and seeing different interpretations. Thanks, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things that make you go "hmmm". I can think I have the answer, but again, I don't know. Did the artists do this by design? Or not? sz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SZ,

    These particular artists were so highly skilled and trained, I would imagine it was done by design. R

    ReplyDelete