Thursday, July 21, 2022

Arkhip Ivanovitch Kuindzhi: Artist of the Light

 It was in Paris at the d' Orsay Museum, that I first experienced Russian art of the period that museum covers (1848-1914) . It was paintings through a special traveling exhibit.

One painting in particular caught my attention. It was so beautifully luminous that I couldn't stop looking at it.  I had to write the name of the artist and the title of his work in my sketchbook/journal so I could find out more about him when I returned home.


The artist was Arkhip Ivanovitch Kuindzhi (1841-1910) also spelled Kouindji. Kuiniji, and, well, if you want to look him up just key in his first name. He was born in Mariupol, Ukraine. 



Orphaned as a six year old, he worked at a variety of menial jobs until his natural gift led to a job as a photo retoucher. He eventually went to St. Petersburg where he took some training, but remained largely self-trained.

 

 

Kuindzhi is recognized as a painter who sought and succeeded in transmitting "light's fullness and density." Below are a few more of his paintings showing his capture of light and mood. 

What's your opinion of his works? Have you ever heard of him?






No comments:

Post a Comment