Wednesday, November 15, 2023

William Degouve de Nuncques: Autumn Scenes


 

 

 

 

 

The change of time and the darkness coming so early has me thinking that I should put on my pjs and hunker down under a warm blanket, but it's only 5 PM! I searched for an artist who might have known what autumn feels like. Found! He was William Degouve de Nuncques, (1867-1935) who was a Belgian artist.

 Degouve de Nuncques was an artist who found his own way. He did go to art school for awhile, but preferred to be self-taught. He was influenced with the artists with whom he shared a studio.Those were Dutch artist, Jan Toorop (whose painting of the Crucifixion is the most stylized I've ever seen) and Belgian artist, Henry de Groux.

 For most of his life, he was regarded as a painter of post-impressionist,atmospheric landscapes. That is why he seemed so appropriate for this time of year. 


While his subjects and style changed in the 1900s, partially due to his loss of use of one hand, this blog will be on his works during the time before.







2 comments:

  1. His landscapes make me feel as though I’m looking through a window at them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a very interesting observation!

      Delete